Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Week 51

Hi fam bam!

So what is the update on whitney's dad? I've only gotten very vague update's from mom and grandma. Maybe because no one really knows yet?

How is miami dad?

Remember that time when this is going to be Hermana Capener's last week in the mission? yeah. SO crazy. It's just weird. THis transfer has just FLOWN by! Every transfer seems to go faster than the last.

We are going to work our butts off this week so it will be a good one though :) Unfortunately, we won't have another baptism before she goes...we have been working for it...but it just isn't the Lord's time.

Not going to lie, I don't envy Hermana Capener only having a week left. I'm so glad I have more time to apply the things that I am learning...I guess she will too...just not as a full time missionary :)

But it also means that something will be happening to me next week. I will be at least getting a new companion...but I don't know yet! AH! sometimes it kills me.

Well, just a side comment, we heard about Whitney Houston. Yes...I realize I'm late in commeting...but I forgot about it last week. ha. We were so sad when we found out though. But it did make me laugh just a little because everyone we talked to that day wanted to talk about her because they knew we are american. It is interesting trying to turn a conversation from Whitney Houston into Jesus Christ.

Have I told you about Lucia? Lucia is our favorite investigator right now. She is a hoot! She has actually been an eternagator for quite sometime (eternal investigator) because she comes to church every week, reads the scriptures, knows it is all true...just isn't baptized yet. We weren't teaching her because she was living with someone...and we didn't want to get into it. A few weeks ago...everything changed. They seperated and she wants to keep the commandments! yay! So now, she could basically get baptized tomorrow...but she just has ONE cigarette a day holding her back. ONE. just one. But we have had some really good citas with her. She is so close. It is interesting how strong that addiction is. Or any addiction for that matter. It is such a burden.

But, when someone knows the truth...and understands the commandments. And actually, even people who don't know them...can't be truly happy until they are kept. She wants SO badly to be a member...because she can feel it weighing her down. But one cigarette? Doesn't that just seem ridiculous? But it is such a struggle.

I've been studying it and thinking about it a lot lately, Obviously, this addiction is all in her head. It is just a matter of changing her own mind. That is something as a missionary...we learn a lot about. That is the only thing that God can't change. Our mind. He can change anything in our physical surroundings. But our nature is our choice. He can give us promptings though the spirit. But because he can't interfere with agency...he can't change it. We have to change it. When we do, we are happier. I study this a lot when it comes to missionary work...giving your heart and mind to the Lord as well as your actions. But it applies to all of life as well.

Maybe sometimes we just hold onto a sin...like one cigarrette a day...because we secretly like it. We just have to change our mind and do it...because it is the only way to be more like Him. And, it will be hard, like it is for Lucia. She is struggling so bad...but if there was nothing hard, there would be no opportunity to choose the right. And we would have no need to rely on the atonement.

I hope this is making some sense. I feel a little scatterbrained today.

Well, I'll let you know what the news is next week.

I love you!!!

I hope whitney's dad can get better soon. He is in my prayers. Along with the rest of you :)

con amor,

Hermana Ross

p.s. buddha?

No comments: